Pages

Friday, April 22, 2016

Tagliatelle with Tomato Sauce, Spinach & Crumbled Ricotta

I had a crazy busy couple of days last weekend, so I wanted to make something fairly easy. I remembered how much I loved the pappardelle pasta the last time I made it, and wanted to use the other bag I had waiting for me in the cabinet. Unfortunately, the only other pappardelle recipes I could find in all three of The Naked Chef cookbooks were full of items either Danielle or I wouldn't eat -- rabbit, spicy sausage, leeks. Which is why I opted for this recipe and just switched the tagliatelle for the pappardelle. As far as I can tell the only difference is an inch in the width (pappardelle is 1  1/2 inches wide, where the tagliatelle in only 1/2 inch wide).

I should have used two cans of tomatoes though like Jamie said to, but after pouring in the first can I thought it looked like more than enough. Again, I was wrong and should have listened. It does cook down a lot and I would have liked a little more sauce in the end.

After I finished the meal, I realized that I think I was supposed to just place the cooked spinach on top of the finished pasta dish, and then the cheese on top of that. My colander was too small to securely put on top of the pasta pot, so I wound up throwing the spinach into the sauce. It worked out well because the spinach wound up cooking in the sauce, but I don't think it's what Jamie had in mind.

One thing I have to add is that ricotta cheese does not crumble! I am not sure what kind of ricotta cheese they have in England, but the kind we have here is almost like a paste. I tried putting a small amount on some paper towels and tried smashing it together to try to get some of the water out. In the end, it didn't do much. I tried ripping it up and "crumbling" it to the best of my ability. 

No comments:

Post a Comment