Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Chicken in Milk


This recipe has been all over the Internet lately. I've seen it on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and JamieOliver.com. I was super excited to learn that it was not only a Jamie Oliver recipe, but that it is also a recipe in one of his Naked Chef cookbooks. Which means everybody, that it was destined to be my next dish!

Now I know what your all thinking, chicken cooked in milk?? That has to be one of the weirdest combinations I have ever heard of. A stomachache waiting to happen. Especially since it also involves lemon zest and Jamie actually mentions something about curds. Blech! But quite the contrary, not only was this recipe ridiculously easy, but it was probably one of the most juicy chickens I have ever had in my life! I think the only thing that I might do differently next time is season the milk in the bottom of the pot, instead of only seasoning the chicken. Although the gravy that the milk and the chicken juices make was delicious, it could have used a little bit of salt. It is probably one of my favorite chicken recipes to date.

One thing I absolutely loved about this recipe was how it was cocked. Because it is sitting in all of that liquid, the chicken stays ridiculously tender and juicy. But also because you never put the lid on the pot while it's in the oven, the top layer of skin gets all golden and crispy. Drying chicken out is something that's really easy to do for me -- finding that delicate balance between a juicy chicken and an undercooked chicken has always been quite the conundrum -- so once I discovered the amazing invention known as a crock pot, I thought that it would be my new best friend. The biggest problem with cooking an entire chicken in a crock pot though, is the fact that it gets so tender, that even the bones become mush. You always end up with a stew like concoction where you're picking bones out of your teeth. This recipe really figured out the best of both worlds. 

Chicken in Milk


I just wanted to share some happy news with you all. As you probably know, after I complete a recipe/blog post, I post it up on all sorts of social media (Facebook, Instagram & Twitter), and then I tag Jamie Oliver in all of my posts. Well last week, he liked my post! Now, this doesn't mean that he is actually reading anything I write, but it does mean that I am one step closer to that goal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment