Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Lemon Lime Cream Tart



This is actually one of the very first Jamie Oliver recipes that I have ever made. Back when my childhood obsession first started, and after I ran out to buy the cookbook, I decided I had to make something right away and this recipe not only looked delicious, but seemed simple enough for one of my first ventures into the world of Chefdom. I remember meticulously following every step of the recipe, along with two of my friends. We couldn't have been more than 15 or 16 years old, and although I hate to admit it, I didn't know that big tart shells existed. I thought tarts were those mini pie type things you saw in fancy bakeries, filled with cream and had decorative fruit designs on them. So because of this, we bought regular pie crusts. Fast forward quite a few years to present day, where although I now know that larger tart shells are actually a thing, I still have no idea where to purchase one in my neighborhood. So I went with my 15-year-old instincts and bought pie crusts yet again. Hey, if it ain't broke... 

One major thing I noticed was that this recipe just have been produced way before Jamie Oliver went on his whole Healthy Food Kick. All it called for was sugar, eggs (8!!!), cream and TONS of lemon and lime juice. I'm not a fan of that pre-packaged, bottled lime juice you can buy at the supermarket, I think it tastes really fake. So I deiced to go with actual lime juice, which meant that I had to squeeze the limes myself. Not a big deal right? Wrong! I originally bought about 10 limes, thinking that would be more then enough for the 1 1/2 cups I needed for this tart. WRONG WRONG WRONG!! I had to go back out and get 20 more. I must be squeezing limes incorrectly. 

The end result, although quite delicious, was not quite as pretty as Jamie's. Because I opted for the regular pie crusts again, the crust part itself became a bit top heavy and broke away from the cream filling. If you look closely in the picture, you can see my finger holding it up! Top heavy crust not withstanding, this tart got many compliments at Easter dinner. 


Lemon Lime Cream Tart w homemade Whipped Cream & raspberries 



No comments:

Post a Comment