Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Roasted Fillet of Beef rolled in Herbs and Porcini and wrapped in Prosciutto & Spinach w Procini, Rosemary and Lemon



I couldn't find anywhere in my neighborhood to buy dried porcini mushrooms, so I decided to use shiitake mushrooms instead. Jamie told me to saute the mushrooms with a pat of butter and a bit of water. Once that cooked down, I had to add some lemon juice and more butter. And let me tell you, I could eat nothing but those mushrooms for the rest of my life and die happy. Luckily, needed to be used for both the meat and spinach dishes! Towards the end of the recipe, Jamie casually mentions that you could add some fresh greens and roasted potatoes to this dish. Without actually telling you how to cook them.  Which is why I took it upon myself to find one of his spinach recipes, and use that. As for the potatoes, seeing as I didn't know I was going to need them for this recipe, I decided to use a can of Shop Rite sliced white potatoes. I usually make them saluted with onions and butter....usually as a breakfast potato. My wife is a sucker for them! 

The idea of this meal just seemed so lovely. Rare, seasoned beef, surrounded by the most deliciously buttered mushrooms, rolled up in something resembling bacon. I'm drooling just thinking about it. The reality of it however did not live up to my expectations. This was definitely all of my fault though. My ability to cook beef to its correct temperature is always a little tricky for me. My wife prefers her steak medium, but really closer to well done, Whereas I prefer mine to still be mooing. She always tells me to take it out when it is the right temperature for me, and if anything, she could always put hers back into the oven for a bit. But when I cook, I have this overwhelming sense of needing everything to be perfect.Which, lets face it, is completely ridiculous because that almost never happens. But if I am purposely serving my wife under cooked steak, it makes me feel really bad. Which is why making steak usually causes me a bit of anxiety. And this case was no different. I wound up keeping the meat in the oven for little longer then necessary and of course I overcooked it! Because of this though, the end result was definitely not as pretty as Jamie's. And I'm not gonna lie, I wound up having a bit of a panic attack while trying to take a picture for you all! 

In the end, although it was not cooked to perfection, it was still pretty tasty! My wife would;t stop telling me just how flavorful it was and how she definitely would not mind me cooking it again. So that's a win in my book! 

I wanted you to see what it looked like still wrapped in the proscuitto 



No comments:

Post a Comment